Re: Am I using too much coolant?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 01:12:15 EDT

Mr. Plow wrote:

> Are you ONLY putting coolant back in the system? Or mixing some water
> in there as well?
> The temps have been really high (and humidity as well) and my Cherokee
> was constantly running a bit hot. I had previously had a dead electric
> fan, and got in the bad habit of pouring in just coolant when it
> overheated and shot fluid everywhere.
> Told my one friend it was still running hot after putting in a
> new/working fan, and he said that the thermostat won't work (open)
> properly if there is too much coolant in the system and not enough water
> mixed in.
> So, about 2 weeks ago i got out the garden hose and topped the rad right
> off with water, as well as the overflow bottle, and the gauge has been
> reading dead center ever since, that's normal city driving as well as
> taking a trip on the highway.
>
> Simple and very cheap possible fix for you to try. ;)

For sure. The chemical composition of too much antifreeze and not
enough water can also cause damage to the cooling system components.

Even though it's not as cheap as buying plain antifreeze and then adding
water, I keep a bottle of the pre-mixed 50/50 stuff around in case I
need it in a pinch.

-Bill