Re: Josh - BBQ Drive east from Chicago

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 08:54:21 EDT

Rich Werning said:

> Hey Josh, any chance you can somehow write up the directions around?
> There's no way I can meet up with you guys Wed morning - just got home from
> my camping trip about 30 min ago. I've got some serious cleaning and
> repacking supplies before I head out to the BBQ on Thursday.
>
> Looks like they're trying to make a long drive longer, so any advice you can
> give me on my early morning drive from Milwaukee eastbound would be much
> appreciated.

Hey Rich! Seeing as though you're coming from Milwaukee, you're going to
have to deal with the traffic any way I give you directions. Your best bet
is to cruise through the Chicagoland area after 10am. The roads will be
pretty quiet at that point. You'll probably be coming down I94, correct?
(if you like, check the traffic (780AM has traffic every 10 minutes) and see
how the congestion on I94 is, but personally I'd take the tri-state (I294)
around the mess. It might be a little more miles but I feel that it's worth
it in lost hassle.) Take I94 south (east) until you see I294 south to
Indiana. Jump on that and take that until it meets up with I80 and becomes
construction hell. You're going to want to hang out in the right lane if
it's congested, that lane seems to always move the fastest. This eventually
becomes I80/94 and will take you straight into Indiana where you can get on
the I80/90 toll road heading east to Jon's.

Pay attention to the road signs, it's really easy to miss the I80/90 "Indiana
Toll Road" exit. If you miss it, you're going to be on I94 and heading to
Detroit.

IF you decide to get off the highway:
The easiest way would be to have you exit at Halsted (Illinois 1) south and
take that to Ridge Road (there's a fannie mae on the corner) and make a left.
 Follow this road around and when you get to a T intersection, you want to
make a right and go over the railroad tracks. You can then take this road
all the way through. It should dump you onto Torrence Ave. From Torrence,
you can make a left and head to I80/94 from there, or you can make a right
and head to Ridge Road and take that over to the next highway entrance. If
you decide to go to Ridge Road, make a left and follow that down to Calumet.
Make a left on Calumet and take that down to the highway and head east.

It will probably be your best bet to stay on the highway for your jaunt
through the area here, it only really bottlenecks near the border, and if you
get off the tri-state before Halsted it's much more convoluted to make your
way to Indiana quickly. If time is not important to you, you can exit at
159th and take that east to Torrence. You'd then make a right onto Torrence
and take that down to I80/94. This way is *ungodly* slow though so I don't
recommend it. Besides the highway it is the most direct though.

I'm going to email you my cell phone number offlist so that if you have any
questions you can give me a call.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com