Re: Oil question...

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 15:26:13 EDT

On 7/27/05, Valentin Garcia <valentingar@msn.com> wrote:

> Hey gang, I have a question on oil. What does it all mean? Example:
> 5w30 vs 10w30. I usually put in what's recommended, but why is a certain
> weight required? I have an 04 4.7L quadcab Ram that takes 5w30, what would
> happpen if I put in 10w30. Thank you in advance.
> I know this has probably been covered before so I apologise for the revisit.

The first number is the "cold" viscosity, the second the "hot"
viscosity (I hope I got those right).

If you ran 10w30, the oil would be thicker until the engine is warmed
up. You won't get any gain running it over the 5w30. I put 0w30 in
for the winter months but it doesn't get cold enough in Houston for
you do need that.

I'd recommend sticking with the 5w30, unless there's a shortage and
you can't find anything but 10w.