Re: Oil question...

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Thu Jul 28 2005 - 09:08:57 EDT

To add a little to this string.

The base stock oil establishes the xW number. So a 5W-30 starts with 5 weight
base stock oil, a 0W-30 starts with 0 weight base stock and a -5W starts with a
-5 base stock. Yes there are some (-) weight oils now. The viscosity modifiers
are added to maintain the properties at the higher temperatures. What these
modifiers are are hydrocarbon strings that at cold temperatures coil up into
balls thus not impacting the viscosity of the oil. As temperatures rise they
uncoil into strings keeping the oil from thinning out more than what straight
weight oil of the second number. That is a 10W-30 oil at 100C will maintain the
same viscosity as 30 weight oil would at 100C. As Jon stated the bigger the
range between the two numbers the more of the modifiers are needed. The down
side is these modifiers wear out and break down over time resulting in the oil
loosing it's high tempersature lubricating properties.

In the long run a 10W-30 is going to loose less of it's high temperature
properties than a 5W-30.

All liquids have change there viscosity with temperature. Here is where
synthetics have another advantage over dino oil, they change less. So a 10W-30
synthetic will require little or no viscosity modifiers to be able to meet the
rating.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4