Re: Oil question...

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Jul 28 2005 - 09:10:35 EDT

On Jul 28, 2005, at 8:39 AM, Andy Levy wrote:

> Interesting. I'm pretty sure my '03 4.7L recommends 5w30 unless I'm
> going to regularly see sub-freezing temperatures.

I run Mobil 1 Truck and SUV oil in my '96 which is a 5w40 oil. I used
to run Mobil 1 10w30 but the T&S oil is a far better temp range
(covers from below freezing to high heat) plus it is actually over
engineered for a gasoline engine. The reason I say this is the stuff
is actually Mobil Delvac 1 which is their synthetic diesel engine oil
(confirmed by calling Mobil). Diesel engine oils need to have more
lubricant in them due to the extreme pressure they operate at while
having an additive in them to trap small particles. This is besides
the better ability to remove buildup in the engine.

Anyway, I have had no problem with it and the mileage has gone up
1mpg. This is after switching to the MP PCM and premium fuel several
tanks beforehand and seeing gas mileage drop. I had a little tapping
that I was starting hear and that also seems to have gone away. I
will post after I have run it longer.

Jeff Durling