2005 DML BBQ Update Saturday AM

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jul 30 2005 - 08:34:43 EDT

Today is the last day of the 2005 DML BBQ. As of yet we have not had
any paintball
adventures, however I expect we will do some later today. Thursday
afternoon, Adam and
Jackie, Jason and Norah, and Walt and Ingrid all arrived. We sat around
and conversed
most of the evening. Early Friday morning, around 3 or so, Josh's truck
seemed to have
been covered in bubble wrap... hmm...

Friday morning when everyone woke up... it was a topic of conversation,
as to who the
culprit was. Much speculation was about until it was determined that
Mike Maskalans
implemented Tom's fiendish plan (Tom helped hehe - Mike actually did the
wrapping of the
truck !) Tom's buddy Dan just observed,

Ingrid was kept busy for a while rolling up the bubble wrap and filling
up a bench with the
many rolls of air pocket sheets.

Jon, Rich and Dan saddled up on the quad and trailer and went out to put
pre-formed
concrete blocks into the ground at intersections on the trails. Walt
and Ingrid, Tom, Mike
in the Uni. Of Rochester Mini Baja car, Adam, Jackie, Josh and Sheena,
in Adams Jeep,...
all hit the trails. Tom and Walt set out to put up the signs, not
realizing that Jon, Rich and
Dan had returned to The Barn, looking for them! Tom failed at the task
miserably, as a few
of the signs never made it up, and the placement of the ones that did go
up, may not be
100% accurate.

We returned back to The Barn for a few minutes before heading back out
again. We made
it down to the lower waterfall where some repairs to the bank of the
creek were made. A
large tree had come down at the entrance to the lower falls, causing a
large hole to appear
where it was uprooted. The tree was cut up, logs placed in the hole and
the hole filled with
dirt. This was done to prevent trouble entering the ravine.

When we reached the lower falls, Tom made a bee line for the
waterfall, Making a few
nervous attempts, he backed off and watched Walt take a run at it. Walt
made it up the falls
with not too much difficulty. A worn out limited slip in his front axle
left him looking for
more traction. Tom, feeling more confidant since witnessing Walt's
success, got behind he
drivers seat again and launched himself at the falls. After a few nice
smokey burn outs on
the rock, and with much help from the spotters around him, Tom was
finally able to get
Christine up the waterfall. Tom was really happy :)

Adam was next up! His Cherokee looked like it was going to walk up
right away with
little effort, until he stabbed the sidewall of his passenger front BFG
Mud Terrain, on a
sharp rock. Adam backed down, threw on his Badyear Mangler spare tire on
(the same
spare tire he had on his old Dakota!) and proceeded to blast up the
waterfall once more.

Mike hopped in the Mini Baja and, much to everyone's awe, took the
little part motorcycle,
part ATV tube car straight up the waterfall.

Everyone was havin fun!

We returned to the barn, with no incident. Mud lane is pretty sloppy
this year - not as bad
as previous years. The Longest 100 Yards is pretty dry however. Tom
was put in charge
of the BBQing Friday evening, , firing up burgers and dogs for quick
devouring by the
group.

Around 7:30 everyone saddled up and hit the highway for a cruise in to a
local gas station
and ice cream shop, where they have regular car shows and have prize
raffles. The looks
that were received were priceless as a long convoy of trucks, some
muddy, rolled into the
lot. The folks there were really nice and announced our arrival and
welcomed us! The ice
cream was wonderful! Jon won $5 bucks, and Ingrid won a package of
paint brushes!

As dark settled in, we returned home for a night of fireworks,
bonfires, Lawn Jenga, and
Social Shenanigans. Two of Mikes U of R baja friends arrived, as did
one of the former
SCORE members, Remo.

Tom broke with tradition, abandoning his favorite couch, and slept in a
tent down by the
pond for the first time at the BBQ.

Jim Knox and company are due to arrive Saturday and perhaps a couple
more former
SCORE members. Lets see what Saturday has in store for us!

-TerribleTom