Re: Hurricane at DML HQ!

From: Zito, James A \(GE Energy\) (james.zito@ps.ge.com)
Date: Sat Jul 30 2005 - 02:38:39 EDT

We got winds in excess of 40mph here today. It appears that the entire chain
of great lakes has been playing host to storms lately...

Well unfortunately I had to "work" this weekend....ROADWHORE (field engineer ) conference, read free beer and food...........

So I could not be @ the BBQ wish I could have been there....

BUT high winds and rain are no big deal one of my fellow workers called me on Tuesday, and says will you help me sail my boat from Mystic CT up to Jamestown, RI (about 15 min from the booze fest) and I know he is asking me cuz he don't think the other invitees to not become seasick if it get's ruff.

I think for a little while (not really like sailing but he is a good friend...) so I say ok what are the logistics looking like...

He says we will all meet @ the finish marina and I'll drive to the start point. So I say OK.

Get to end point, it's close to pea soup, but looks like it may burn off so we head to CT, load up the boat and it looks even more like the fog will go away...........

Get underway and it's clearing up all the way out of the harbor, we turn left and head to Jamestown.

Turn left out of the harbor and loose sight of land in the fog, but we have GPS so we can go where we need to.

Friend was right, the wife passenger gets sea sick BIGTIME, her hubby is ok for the next hour then has sympathy seasick symptoms.............

That was aboot 1130..........

Continuing in peasoup for the rest of the journey we sail on for a total of 8 hours..........

With the GPS and a set of parallel rulers I manage to plot the last 2 way points using my seaman's eye (11 years active duty as Navy occifer) we finally glimpse land but are not sure which hunk of land it is ......
I get Skipper to give me the latitude and determine we are aboot 1 mile south of where we want to be..............

Turn on the out board and continue north.....come in to mooring zone find folks in an inflatable dinghy ask them how do we get where we're going?
told go that way...............

so we do
find harbor master who led us to the mooring

My WORST 8 hours or so on the water ever..........................
AND that includes 11 years of active Navy duty.....................

AND it was the worst fog I have EVER seen.......................

Jim
03 Dak missing 2 slugs but with a back seat................