GenII vs. GenIII acceleration - a few questions + mpg concerns?

From: dakman_79@yahoo.com
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 20:25:09 EDT

My '93 5.2L CC auto:
DT Tri-y's
3" Dynomax cat + 3"->2x2.5" UltraFlo exiting in front of my passenger tire
R&D Underdrives - full set
F&B Stage 1.5 Prototype
Magnecore wires
8.75" w/4.10s + half trashed SG
K&N FIPK
4050lbs sans driver
~133k miles
255/60R15s

With electric fans it ran 15.5s (2.44 60', sigh) @ 91-92mph.

My '98 5.2L CC 5spd has the 9.25" with 3.92/SG and is completely stock with
235/70R15s and 16,500miles. Not sure on the weight, but it's heavier for sure
- maybe 4200lbs? At any rate, although the '93 has bolt-ons, it's MUCH MUCH
faster feeling than the '98. I don't remember my '93 being this slow stock,
but that was 7 years ago. Are the bolt-ons worth that much? The '98 just
feels doggy. The '93 revs up fast, rips throught the frist couple gears, and
requires little effort to maintain 70mph. The '98 revs up
slooooooowwwwwwwwwwww and I have to give it a fair amount more throttle to
maintain 70mph. Are the GenIII's that much slower or is there a chance
something is wrong with my '98? One thing for sure is the exhaust on the '98
is pathetic at best. The y-pipe is miniscule, maybe that's a large part of the
problem? I was thinking of getting a CAI, TB, headers/cat-back, and an
electric fan... The power just isn't there, and the mpg doens't seem to be
there either. Maybe a flush hard tonneau if it'd help with mpg, too.

I was hoping it'd do much better on the mpg front. Especially since it's a
5spd and has a tiny bit less gear. On my first tank it got 15.0 mpg with mixed
driving and with about 50 steady highway miles. That's terrible IMO. The '93
gets ~16 mixed only and used to get 16/22, but now maxes out at about 19.5
highway due to age and the stock clutch fan being put back on I'm guessing.

Not that I'm expecting super acceleration and hybrid style mpg, but I'm kinda
disappointed at this point. Anybody got any ideas? Or is this pretty much
what to expect?