Re: [now] Offroad buggies [was] new guy chimes in

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 11:54:35 EDT

Michael Maskalans said:

> the right carb means no issues. that Briggs has a single side draft
> carb on it and it'll keep running upside down. or at least I had to hit
> the kill switch when I stood it up on it's back, at any rate....

Definately, but being as I'll be mounting the motor transversly in the frame
so that I can drive a center driveshaft to make it AWD, you'd run into some
problems with a sidedraft carb I'd think. I might be wrong, but I think it
would be tipping the wrong way for a sidedraft unless you mounted it so that
it drew air from the left/right side of the cart.

> also, I prefer quiet. the better the muffler the happier I am. I would
> NOT want to be in that place we go with a harley exhaust. drawing
> attention audibly is a bad thing. that's what the visual is for....

Not to mention that you probably don't want to have to wear haring protection
while riding the thing. Quieter is probably better in this application, I'll
give you that.

> I've personally been dreaming of a nice torquey V-twin superbike engine
> like Suzuki's 1L piece. Trouble being no reverse in the gearbox, and
> the gearbox+engine are one piece.

I'd assume you should be able to mate just about whatever you like
transmissionwise with whatever motor you like from that same company. (honda
trans to honda motor, etc) Some of the older gold wings do have reverse as
Jon had mentioned, so there's probably some way to work it out.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com