Re: [now] Offroad buggies [was] new guy chimes in

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 09:27:16 EDT

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Rich Werning wrote:

> "Michael Maskalans" <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote in message
>
> > new frame specs are out - .065 min wall thickness, so bend away! (and
> > new frame building too. I don't think I'll be able to get this car
> > without replacing all the usable parts on it though which would be VERY
> > significant, so I don't think I'll try)
>
> What does that mean, they're striping it down to nothing but the frame? It
> would be tempting, but not having access to a tig welder makes frame work a
> real hassle.

.065 is pretty MIGable, not that this matters to anyone outside SAE
rules... as far as stripping goes, since the car works so damn well it's
going to be really hard not to steal some major componants (seat, front
suspension, maybe rear suspension too) and build a nearly identical
cockpit.

I think I'm going to be gunning for a split frame - have everything behind
the rear roll hoop removable so it's easy to change our drivetrain
configuration.

> I was pondering this whole topic while mowing the lawn tonight. The thing I
> kept coming back to was the need / want to use as many easily replaceable
> parts as possible. Parts that would be available in almost any town in the
> country - be it junkyard, auto parts store, cycle shop, etc.

pretty easy for the small stuff (chain, ball joints, brake lines), but for
things like A-arms and knuckles you're probably better off just carying spares.

> That way it
> would be easy to repair almost any damage you do while away from home & the
> shop.

isn't that what zip ties, duct tape and ratchet straps are for? they work
on my truck....

> Also, not sure how feasible it would be but if you were able to use
> identical A arms for front and rear, same shocks, same size tires & rims, it
> would make carrying spare parts much simpler.

yeah but it wouldn't be as effective of a car. different tires for
different jobs (unless it's an AWD car), different knuckles are a must
unless it's awd/4-wheel steer, same goes for a-arms. rims and shocks are
simpler but the shocks are going to need to be stiffer in back in general
so that wouldn't be optimal, either... maximizing spares usefulness is
hard!
-

MikeM