Re: [now] Offroad buggies [was] new guy chimes in

From: Rich Werning (rwerning@wi.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 01:24:13 EDT

"Michael Maskalans" <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote in message
news:42F2E2EB.2000000@tepidcola.com...

> we tried that, it doesn't work too well and requires too much patience.
>
> new frame specs are out - .065 min wall thickness, so bend away! (and
> new frame building too. I don't think I'll be able to get this car
> without replacing all the usable parts on it though which would be VERY
> significant, so I don't think I'll try)

What does that mean, they're striping it down to nothing but the frame? It
would be tempting, but not having access to a tig welder makes frame work a
real hassle.

I was pondering this whole topic while mowing the lawn tonight. The thing I
kept coming back to was the need / want to use as many easily replaceable
parts as possible. Parts that would be available in almost any town in the
country - be it junkyard, auto parts store, cycle shop, etc. That way it
would be easy to repair almost any damage you do while away from home & the
shop. Also, not sure how feasible it would be but if you were able to use
identical A arms for front and rear, same shocks, same size tires & rims, it
would make carrying spare parts much simpler.

- Rich