Re: Gas Milage that just SUCKS!

From: Gary Hedlin (superdak@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 00:31:07 EDT

Terrible Tom wrote:

> Having OD off will really screw your fuel economy. I don't know if you
> cought my stats on this past BBQ, Gary, but hauling Christine behind me
> on a POS UHaul twin axle - and a ton of gear and stuff, with a buddy in
> the passenger seat - resulted in horrible numbers. 8.9 MPG avarage is
> what I got over the trip. 9.7 was the best MPG, and 7.8 mpg was the
> worst. My 360 ate a quart of oil over the trip doing LOTS of rev time
> above 3,000 and it spent a good deal of time up at 4,000 RPM, while
> merging, and doing some passing. I think I even hit red line once or
> twice. In some areas I was able to run with overdrive on - which
> probably accounts for the 9.7 MPG fill up I had.
>
> I'd say there is nothing wrong with your truck, I'd say you just sucked
> a lot of gas at higher RPM's and higher highway speeds. I normally
> avarage 13 MPG in town.

That was my gut feeling all along. With SD's many hills and valleys we
hit 5000 rpm's a few times. But with me being such a worry-wart I
figure i'ld bounce it off the masses before I make an ass out of myself
trying to explain it to the dealer (who doesn't know how big of a nutbag
i am yet). :)

I'm going on a trip tomorrow to pick up some stuff for ebay, so
hopefully the numbers will go back where they should be so i can put
this non-issue to bed! :)

Gary Hedlin
05 4.7 SLT 2WD
98 3.9 Sport 2WD