Re: Gas Milage that just SUCKS!

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 23:43:44 EDT

Gary Hedlin wrote:

> Well, heres a pic of the truck & trailer ironicly at a gas station:
>
> http://garyhedlin.com/trailer.jpg
>
> I was hauling 2 bikes, a harley fat boy and a yamaha virago 750... which
> are two pretty heavy bikes. Plus we had the bed stuffed with about 200
> lbs of camping gear, so I would guestamate we were hauling about 3000lbs.
>
> I realize having the overdrive off does affect things, but that kind of
> a drop is beyond me.... so thats why im here :)

Having OD off will really screw your fuel economy. I don't know if you
cought my stats on this past BBQ, Gary, but hauling Christine behind me
on a POS UHaul twin axle - and a ton of gear and stuff, with a buddy in
the passenger seat - resulted in horrible numbers. 8.9 MPG avarage is
what I got over the trip. 9.7 was the best MPG, and 7.8 mpg was the
worst. My 360 ate a quart of oil over the trip doing LOTS of rev time
above 3,000 and it spent a good deal of time up at 4,000 RPM, while
merging, and doing some passing. I think I even hit red line once or
twice. In some areas I was able to run with overdrive on - which
probably accounts for the 9.7 MPG fill up I had.

I'd say there is nothing wrong with your truck, I'd say you just sucked
a lot of gas at higher RPM's and higher highway speeds. I normally
avarage 13 MPG in town.