Re: Re: Solar charging of starter battery

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 21:31:09 EDT

"Woodruff, Jason P" <jason.p.woodruff@boeing.com> wrote:

: Thanks for the opinons guys. When the car gets parked, it will be on a full charge. I want to try the $10 one from harbor freight. I live in a condo complex, so the car is outside and not near a usable outlet for a normal charger. The Harbor freight charger wouldn't overcharge anything would it? The first one I mentioned listed features of automatic charger slow down when battery is full.

  Hmmm, that's a good question. I don't see any mention about overcharge
protection. You might need to call their tech line or have an on-line chat
with one of their customer service reps to see what they can tell you. It
might be that the charge amperage is so small that you don't need to worry
about overcharging, but it'd definitely be worth checking into first.

: I'm assuming I can charge the battery through the accesory plug that is always hot (as oppose to the cig lighter that only on during ignition)? No diodes in the way?

   Good point - I would assume that as well.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | '70 Barracuda, '90 Dakota Convertible, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota | | '96 Intruder, '96 Kolb FireFly, '99 Cherokee, '01 Ram 3500 | `----------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'