Re: Solar charging of starter battery

From: Woodruff, Jason P (jason.p.woodruff@boeing.com)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 15:36:59 EDT

Thanks for the opinons guys. When the car gets parked, it will be on a full charge. I want to try the $10 one from harbor freight. I live in a condo complex, so the car is outside and not near a usable outlet for a normal charger. The Harbor freight charger wouldn't overcharge anything would it? The first one I mentioned listed features of automatic charger slow down when battery is full.

I did some calculating. It's a 13Ah battery, at 3 weeks it starts getting weak. I'm going to conservitivly guess it's down to 3Ah at that point. So 10Ah loss in 3weeks (504hours), makes for about a 20mA leakage. Times 12V gets .24W loss. So a 1.5W rated charger running at 25% (half time at night, half output average during daylight) outputs .37W.

I'm assuming I can charge the battery through the accesory plug that is always hot (as oppose to the cig lighter that only on during ignition)? No diodes in the way?

Jay W
505/287 Dakota