Re: Alternator help

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 18:00:36 EDT

Francis Fastje <ffastje@cox.net> wrote:

: Well I had a bad afternoon went to start the truck no go. I had a buddy
: jump me it would start but as soon as i let off the gas it would
: die.Went and bought a new battery and it fired right up and drove
: home.What i am wondering now is how do i test the alternator? I have
: read the haynes manual and it says to use a volt meter with truck off
: and then running and compare the two. Is this a ok test to determine a
: bad alternator? Also what alternator is best for my truck
: They have 117A and a 136A?

   Yep, testing the battery with the truck off and running should
at least tell you if power is getting to the battery or not. If
not, that doesn't completely eliminate the alternator (it could
be a break in the wiring from the alternator to the battery) but
at least that will tell you if you've got a charging problem or
if it was simply your battery's time. :-)

   As far as the alternator goes, unless the higher output one
is considerably more expensive, you can't really go wrong with
more amps.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | '70 Barracuda, '90 Dakota Convertible, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota | | '96 Intruder, '96 Kolb FireFly, '99 Cherokee, '01 Ram 3500 | `----------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'