Re: Tie Rod Ends

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 11:15:28 EDT

Wayne Allewelt said:

> First, the warning. This past Tuesday I had my tie rod end fail. Luckily I
> was only backing up when it went. Now at first I thought it failed because I
> had forgotten to grease the joint through the zerk fitting, but last night
> when I went to remove it, I noticed that DC didn't put the fittings on the
> tie rod end like most other tie rod ends I have seen/worked on other makes.
> Well seeing that it didn't have the fitting kinda pissed me off because of
> the damn bean counters at DC trying to save money and fu**ing with peoples
> lives, my mind flashed to the upper ball joint recall at that moment and the
> fact that if I had been driving down the road I more than likely would have
> been killed from losing control of my truck.

When was the last time you had inspected your front end? Every time I change
my oil I inspect everything suspension related just to be safe, since I tend
to drive my truck pretty hard. I would think that you had to have been
getting some sort of noise or vibration due to the tierod being bad, did you
notice anything? When I had to replace my inner tierod end, I definately
noticed that the truck was handling different, which made me suspicious and
helped me to find the problem before a catastrophic failure like you've had.

On my 2000, there were no zerc fittings on any of my original parts.

> Secondly, the question. I haven't been to the parts store yet, but does
> anyone know if the aftermarket tie rod ends come with the zerk fittings or
> at least the hole to install the fitting?

Moog parts are all greasable.

> Also, as a precaution I've decided to replace both sides of the tie rod
> ends.

That's a good idea, be sure to go through the rest of your suspension as well.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com