RE: SuperChargers, Turbos and fuel consumption

From: Bill Knight (wknight40@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 07:49:17 EDT

Don't know the actual answer, but my opinion under normal/leisurely driving
a turbo should help since it require no power from the engine to increase
horsepower and torque. A supercharger on the other hand may help but maybe
not as much depending on engine since it requires a direct mechanical
connection to the engine. Myself, I believe that to a limited extent the
more HP you can make, at less RPM's, and the easier the air goes in and back
out the better the fuel economy you will have. At least this is what I tell
the wife to convince her of getting new parts for the Durango. She says
when I have the money go ahead. Someone with more actual experience may
prove me wrong. Of course in the beginning the MPG's will drop because of
having fun with the newly added power. Just my 2 cents. May not even be
that much.