Re: RE: SuperChargers, Turbos and fuel consumption

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 11:54:50 EDT

On 8/21/05, Bill Knight <wknight40@comcast.net> wrote:

> Don't know the actual answer, but my opinion under normal/leisurely driving
> a turbo should help since it require no power from the engine to increase
> horsepower and torque. A supercharger on the other hand may help but maybe
> not as much depending on engine since it requires a direct mechanical
> connection to the engine.

The turbo will increase the amount of work that is required to expel
exhaust gasses. You know those MPG gains we get from running
free-flowing exhausts? Reverse that when you put the turbo impeller
in the exhaust stream. It's not *as much* of a drag as the
supercharger, but you cannot get higher pressure in the intake
manifold at zero cost, unless you have a solar-powered electric
supercharger.