Re: Autolite Plugs! hehehe

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 23:09:46 EDT

Bob Tom wrote:

> Hi Tom,

Hi Bob!

>> I have a HyperTech Power Programmer and it set to the 87 octane specs.
>

> You're the second post (other one on a Truck forum) that is using
> the Hypertech set at 87 octane and is experiencing pinging under
> heavy loads. Makes me think that it's possible that the Hypertech 87
> program could have a little more aggressive timing than the stock pcm.

It is - for sure, but the only times I have had pinging problems was for
the first coupl emiles after I first programmed it - - I had 87 in there
and set it to 93 when I filled up with premium - and after a mile or two
it stopped.

Other time was under heavy load when towing. Had 87 in there with the
87 tuning setting, and it pinged until I put 89 in there and then all
was well. I have zero complaints about my power programmer and lots of
praise for it.

> Anyhoo, if you're sure that the cause is not from a leaky belly pan gasket,
> probably not if you're not getting pinging on 89 octane, you can try
> a plug that one range colder than stock.

I checked the belly pan gasket and it looks pretty good to me. Josh
looked at it at the BBQ and said it was cleaner than his.

> With regards to the 592x family versus the 392x family, the books that
> auto. suppliers use list the 592x for the 318 and the 392x for the 360.
> We know that Dak racers use the 392x in the 318 though ;-) I don't
> think that I've ever heard/read of anyone using the 592x in a 360 though.

The 5224 is the plug that the books specify for the Ram 360?

> I would try the 3923s. I don't think that you can get the 5923 anymore.
> Supplier says that they are no longer made (?), at least not up here.

Again the family series was 522x - not sure if thats the one you are
talking about - but as others pointed out and as I discovered there is
no 5223 plug.

I changed the cap and rotor - and I think I discovered what was causing
the misfire. The terminals in the cap had a nice layer of white
(carbon?) build up on them. I could have cleaned the terminals off and
reinstalled the cap - as they didn't seem to be that badly worn down...
I have sure seen worse. But with the cost so low - I figured may as
well replace. The old cap was a Wells... aluminum... the new caps and
rotor is the Duralast Gold brass cap and rotor (previously sold under
the Conrad name)

> You can also try adding a bottle of Redline water wetter to the coolant mix
> to run a little cooler. If you don't mind swapping tstats, swap in a
> 180 tstat
> at the same time until the cold temps hit and then return to the stock 195.

I have been meaning to put in a 180 thermostat... however all the crap
that seems to be above it (alternator, AC compressor lines etc) have
deterred me from trying. The Ram is going to be put back in the garage
for the winter pretty soon... so I'm going throw a lot of tender lovin
at it over the months its going to be mothballed. So I'll a thermostat
it to my list. (Needs radiator hoses, coolant flush, trans pan gasket,
all new front end suspension parts, some body work, yadda yadda yadda...

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine