Re: Autolite Plugs! hehehe

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 19:36:07 EDT

Hi Tom,

>I have a HyperTech Power Programmer and it set to the 87 octane specs.

You're the second post (other one on a Truck forum) that is using
the Hypertech set at 87 octane and is experiencing pinging under
heavy loads. Makes me think that it's possible that the Hypertech 87
program could have a little more aggressive timing than the stock pcm.

Anyhoo, if you're sure that the cause is not from a leaky belly pan gasket,
probably not if you're not getting pinging on 89 octane, you can try
a plug that one range colder than stock.

With regards to the 592x family versus the 392x family, the books that
auto. suppliers use list the 592x for the 318 and the 392x for the 360.
We know that Dak racers use the 392x in the 318 though ;-) I don't
think that I've ever heard/read of anyone using the 592x in a 360 though.

As you said, the 592x has the projected nose which is sometimes
referred to as a "truck plug". Projected design increases timing a wee bit
and helps to give a little better low end torque. The 392x do not have
the extended nose.

I would try the 3923s. I don't think that you can get the 5923 anymore.
Supplier says that they are no longer made (?), at least not up here.

You can also try adding a bottle of Redline water wetter to the coolant mix
to run a little cooler. If you don't mind swapping tstats, swap in a 180 tstat
at the same time until the cold temps hit and then return to the stock 195.

The 3923s/water wetter/180 tstat may or may not stop your pining under
load. If it doesn't and you don't want to use 89 octane (obvious reasons),
put the stock computer back in if you still have it and see how that works.

HTH.

Bob