Re: Lower a 4x4

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 23:26:37 EDT

James Calder wrote:
> I heard a Gen II 4X4 cannot be easily lowered. Is it true? What makes the
> 4X4's sit up higher that a 2x4? Is the rear axle under the springs? Can
> shorter coils be installed in the front? Just curious...
>
> Thanks,
> James

I forgot to specify that the front end suspensions of the trucks - 4x4
vs 2wd - are radically different from eachother. 2wd's use coil springs
with a shock in the center vs the torsion bar set up I mentioned in the
other reply... the use different motor mounts, different crossmembers
and different frames. And at least as far as I can tell (at least with
my two dakotas) even the bellhousings on the transmissions between a 2wd
and a 4x4 dakota are different.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine