Re: Lower a 4x4

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 23:21:35 EDT

James Calder wrote:
> I heard a Gen II 4X4 cannot be easily lowered. Is it true? What makes the
> 4X4's sit up higher that a 2x4? Is the rear axle under the springs? Can
> shorter coils be installed in the front? Just curious...
>
> Thanks,
> James

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Ok now that I got that involuntary reflex action out of the way...

4x4 Daks, 87-04 - all use the same basic suspension design. Torsion
bars, long/short A-arms, CV axles up front... and rear axles mounted
over the spring packs.

You can lower the front end ride height by cranking the torsion bars
down... and if you wanted you could mount the axles below the spring
packs in the rear by either doing an axle swap with one from a 2wd truck
- or rewelding the perches - but aside from that - there is no way to
easily, or cheaply lower a 4x4 Dakota without seriously compromising its
4 wheel drive ability.

Plus lowering a 4x4 ---- that's just wrong on SO many levels. You are
lucky that I do not Biotch slap you over to a Ford Ranger forum :-P

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine