Re: Autolite Plugs! hehehe

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 10:04:52 EDT

In article <6.2.0.14.0.20050823190727.02d212d0@pop3.norton.antivirus>,
tigers@bserv.com (Bob Tom) writes:

> With regards to the 592x family versus the 392x family, the books that
> auto. suppliers use list the 592x for the 318 and the 392x for the 360.
> We know that Dak racers use the 392x in the 318 though ;-) I don't
> think that I've ever heard/read of anyone using the 592x in a 360 though.
>
> As you said, the 592x has the projected nose which is sometimes
> referred to as a "truck plug". Projected design increases timing a wee bit
> and helps to give a little better low end torque. The 392x do not have
> the extended nose.

FWIW, if you go to the Autolite web page between 95 and 99 the transition from
3924 to 5224 was made for all 3.9/5.2/5.9 liter magnum engines. So if you have
a 99 or newer 360 it calls for the 5224.

Both the 5224 and 3924 are project nose plugs, it's just that the 5224 project
out further. A non project nose plug will not have any of the porclien
insulator extending beyond the base of the plug. I haven't worked on an engine
that was manufactured since the mid 80's that didn't call for a projected nose
plug. Of course there likely is sum still being used, the only thing I can
think of is my lawn mower.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4

Dave