RE: MPG again....

From: Zachary Burcham (roadking_dakota@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 12:16:58 EDT

>Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:24:11 -0500
>From: "Hop" <hopsdak@hotmail.com>
>Subject: DML: MPG again....
>
>Well, I've fixed my A/C. Seems that the body shop forgot to add the orfice
>tube after they installed the new condenser. Now it cools better than new.
>I can get it down to 42* out of the vents on a 100* day. Mighty nice in
>east Texas.
>Now on to another problem.
>I went ahead and changed my plugs out from the AL 3924's to the 3923's to
>see if i could up my MPG. I cleaned the TB and installed the new plugs and
>it helped.
>Now i'm getting 12.1 on the overhead. Funny thing is that if i do the math
>by hand with the miles/gallons used it's 13.3.
>I've never checked my overhead trip meter to see if it is right. I've owned
>the truck since July of '97 and allways thought it was right.
>Now the question is.. How do i calibrate the readings?
>I assume the overhead reads off the TPS, MPH, and fuel level to achieve the
>instant read out and the average MPG.
>Could it be off from replacing my TPS? This is the only thing i could
>think
>it would be. Everything else is the same other than the tires being 32's
>instead of 31's.
>Could i have a bad TPS?
>- --Hop
>'97 CC 318 $x4 3" PA 3" Rancho
>http://home.swbell.net/hopsdak/dak.html
>http://www.uberstorage.com/tex/public/Dakota/

I'm not sure if it's programmed in or what, but the computer seems to be
slightly aggressive in it's numbers to make it appear it's burning more gas
than it really is. Not sure if it's on purpose but I know a guy who had a
01 3/4 Ram Off-Road with the 360 and his overhead computer would have the
countdown to empty, he drove like 12 miles after it hit 0 and still had a
gallon or two in the tank. (This was with a trailer with a 92 Dak on it, so
he's gettin' like 9-12 mpg) I think the program to protect the fuel pump or
they just don't know how to do it.

One thing to consider is are you filling the tank up to the same point every
time? I know with my truck and the GF's VW TDi I fill it up to the brim
every time if you short fill it once and then fill it to the brim the next
time you'll force your #s low, and vice versa.

One person mentioned tires, but that would knock his Tripometer off so he
would calculate using the wrong #s. I have bigger tires and the only way to
compensate for that is to fin out the % farther you go on them and add that
% to your trip distand. (Tires knock your speedo off 5% and you go 100
miles, you actually went 105 miles.

Hope I didn't ramble too much.

Zachary Burcham
1992 CC 3.9L 2WD A500