Re: lift kit suggestions

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 17:43:42 EDT

On Thu, August 25, 2005 4:28 pm, Montie Roland said:

> I want to end up with:
>
> - vehicle that sits a little higher for mild off-roading and mainly just
> to look meaner
> - 33 inch tires max
> - still needs to stay a daily driver and be reasonably adept at towing the
> occassional boat or jeep trailer (to haul my trail rig if I ever get it
> built)

My opinion: trade it in on a used Ram, ideally a 2500. I think a Ram 2500
at factory height sounds very much like what you're describing.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Dakota, but I've decided trying to lift the
independent suspension is just an exercise in frustration. Unless you
want to do it for the challenge, just to see if you can make it work. In
that case, swap in a solid axle.

I'd say either go with the body lift that Jon suggested, or seriously
consider the trade-in route. Figure out how much you'd be likely to spend
on a suspension lift kit and tires (and unless you're a really good
mechanic or know someone who is, figure on paying someone to help with the
install), and add that to what you figure you can get as a trade-in value
on your Dakota. Unless you're really emotionally attached to your Dak, or
the Ram is too big for your garage, I'd say think about it.