OT: more detail on the laptop hunt

From: Dan Kramarsky (dkramarsky68@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 30 2005 - 21:12:52 EDT

  Well, like i said, I was hunting around for a laptop for myself. something that
would run WinXP and be solid and be just powerful enough to open Word and Excel and surf
the web at almost the same instant.
  I got it. And man it was cheaper than I thought. I settled on a Compaq Armada E500
that comes with a Pentium-III 850 Mhz processor, network/modem internal miniPCI card,
and about 380 MB of RAM that I can upgrade to 512 MB max.

I payed just $200 for this puppy with an extra battery, Power supply, and CD-ROM drive.

  If you're looking for a low-price laptop for under $300, try looking at the "laptop
review" articles from 2000 or 2001 issue of PC MAGAZINE. Look for Pentium-III laptops
that are from 850 Mhz up to 1.1 Ghz. When they were new, they listed for over $3000.
Now you can find them on e-bay and other outfits for $300 to $400. And they still run
WinXP and MS Office very well. And they damn sure surf the internet with no problems at
all!

 Here are some ideas for your next E-bay hunt:

IBM ThinkPad T23 - P-III 1.13 Ghz ( this one is the best. very light weight and came
with a DVD-ROM drive and 30GB hard drive when they first appeared in Jan 2002. I use
several of these in my lab at my work. They are very solid. No problems.)

Dell Lattitude C600 - P-III 1Ghz ( the 2nd best )

Hp OmniBook XE3 - P-III 850 Mhz ( this is good too. i use this at the lab as well )
Compaq Armada M700 or E500 - P-III upto 1GHz (M700) or 850Mhz (E500)
Gateway Solo 9300 - P-III 700 Mhz

Dell Lattitude C600 - P-III 1Ghz
Toshiba Tecra 8200 - P-III 1Ghz

Dan K.
'92 Grey Dak CC, 318, 4x2, 46RH, 3.55 rear, 235/75R15, PS, PW, PB, PL, AC.

Mods: Cool air, K&N oil/air, Autolite 3924s, re-located IAT.

Future: Swap motor for a slightly modified Magnum 5.9L engine.