Re: RE: DML Gas Prices

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 15:35:24 EDT

On 9/1/05, Joseph A. Orsini <Joeman@gbonline.com> wrote:
> Also the oil companies and gas companies are guilty of being crookeder than
> sin. Just earlier this summer there was that storm in the Gulf of Mexico,
> everyone was worried about it causing havoc with the oil supply. Gas prices
> went up something like 15 or 20 cents a gallon over night. When the storm
> passed and did not make landfall as much as feared did prices drop 15 to 20
> cents overnight? Hell no, they use the pending catastrophes to jack prices
> up but they are as transparent as can be when the "catastrophe" doesn't
> happen.

Well, by purchasing just as much gas if not more when the price is
15-20 cents higher, we're just demonstrating that the market will bear
the extra cost (isn't that what capitalism is all about?), and there
is no incentive for the oil companies or gas stations to drop their
prices - they can just keep reaping that profit.