Re: Gas Prices

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 16:44:47 EDT

On Thu, September 1, 2005 4:10 pm, Josh Battles said:

> LOL, he traded a BMW for a Triumph?

Yeah, he was pretty upset about it. He liked the BMW a lot more. Not
that he dislikes the Triumph, but he described the BMW as having been
designed by the motorcycle gods specifically for him. When he finishes
school I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another one just like it.

I think his biggest problems were the insurance and the rate at which it
consumed tires. His was technically a sport touring model, with the
emphasis on sport. It required a special kind of tire hand crafted from
unobtanium core in the German Black Forest by one 110 year old guy who was
unwilling to pass his secrets on to the next generation. Or something
like that. Apparently they were really expensive and he was going through
two or three a year. (This information is from my fuzzy memory of what I
heard, not that I was listening too intently to the details, so take it
for whatever it's worth.)

> From what I've heard (I'm probably
> wrong) BMWs are supposed to be way more reliable than Triumphs. Triumph
> may
> have gotten better recently, but I'd heard not too long ago that they were
> still maintenence hogs.

Apparently the Triumph is way more affordable to operate, at least for
him. I guess it uses regular tires and probably qualifies in a different
insurance category.

> Here in IL, you don't need a special license to operate a moped either.
> You can drive anything under 50cc with your regular "car" license.

>From what I've read, in Ontario it has to have pedals to qualify as a
moped. I found an online petition trying to get the government to allow
people to ride 50cc scooters without requiring a motorcycle permit.