Re: RE: DML Gas Prices

From: droo (03dakotaCC4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 21:13:20 EDT

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:57:10 -0400, Joseph A. Orsini <Joeman@gbonline.com>
wrote:

> Until a realistic and viable alternative fuel source is massively
> available
> the gas companies are not an example of capitalism. Gas companies retail
> prices are basically set based on what the wholesale price is.
> Government
> has a cap on the amount per gallon the local gas station can mark up.
> And
> if you notice if there is an intersection with gas stations on three of
> the
> four corners they will almost ALWAYS have the same price. The situation
> is
> closer to a monopoly or oligopoly than anything else as there really is
> no
> competition in terms of price and in reality gas is closer to a need
> than a

Here in NJ the gasoline competition is fierce. Until recently (thank god),
I drove 50 miles each way to work. By my work the population is a bit
lower and there are few gas stations. About half way home I traveled on a
6 lane highway with lots of gas stations. I was able to get gas at a BP in
that area for at least .13$ less than by work. And the gas stations in
that area were within .05$ of each other.

--
-Droo

http://www.grandroyal.org/dakota