RE: The Red Cross

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 10:13:23 EDT

Rick Barnes said:

> No problem Joseph, I had a similar experience. I think the people at bottom
> of the RC are all great and wonderful people, it's the higher ups that are
> the problems, as it is in a lot of organzations. I was at a tornado
> disaster as a volunteer with a church group and the RC came blazing in and
> we were glad to see them...nice folks...we had been working for 3 solid days
> in awful conditions, no food...well what do you know, they brought out a
> bunch of sandwiches...yay....oops, they wanted $2 a piece for
> them....needless to say, we helped them pack their crap up and ran them
> out...
> Never again...
>
> The SA (Salvation Army) showed up an hour later and would give us the shirts
> off our backs if we had asked. That is where I made up my mind.
>
> Agree, not trying to start a flame, just my own experience.
>
> Rascal

I too had an experience similar to this after some tornadoes hit a town that
I've got a friend in, here in IL. We were all out there helping clean up and
searching for my buddy's lost stuff in the wreckage of his house (it was
flattened) and the RC showed up. They were selling
sandwiches/coffee/juice/water. The SA showed up about an hour later and were
giving away the same things, as well as dry clothes and blankets.

IMO, the SA >> the RC, and I have no problem donating to the salvation army
because of this experience.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com