Re: DML:Gas Prices

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 09:49:02 EDT

In article <op.swnjv2ucxevqpy@mail.comcast.net>, 03dakotaCC4.7_4x4@comcast.net
(droo) writes:

> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:57:11 -0400, Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net>
> wrote:
>

> > On September 5, 2005 03:12 pm, droo wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't know how you figure 50%.
> >
> > Bob (like me) lives in Ontario, Canada. Here's some helpful propaganda
> > from
> > Petro Canada designed to re-direct consumer anger away from themselves
> > and
> > towards the government:
> >

> Well I live in the US and the tax here isn't as high. Varies by state.
> Federal tax rate is 18.3 cents and the NJ rate is 10.5 cents. A total of
> 28.8 cents per gallon.

Actually, according to gaspricewatch.com, NJ is 14.5 cents with the federal tax
of 18.4 totaling 32.9 cents per gallon. NJ has one of the lowest gas taxes in
the country. There are a few lower but it's in the botom 10%. Here in CT
however, Fed Tax + 25 cents + 5% gross earnings tax collected at wholesale puts
us at about 57 cents per gallon. One of the highest in the country. Then
factor in the EPA fuel requirements for this area and we're typically 30-40
cents higher than NJ.

Walt