Re: OT! Printer Help

From: kvmac45@comcast.net
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 22:45:36 EDT

In article <200509070105.j8715XEg003904@ms-smtp-01.tampabay.rr.com>,
jCalder3@cfl.rr.com ("James Calder") writes:

> I'm sorry to bug the list about this but I've received the best computer
> help from people on this list.
> Can anybody please explain to me the difference and pro/cons between sharing
> a printer on a network (one connected to a workstation) versus using a
> network ready printer (I guess it would be connected directly to the
> router)?
> Please feel free to reply directly so as to not annoy people that are Dakota
> only users or Gas/politics users :)
>
> Thanks!
> James

Other than what has already been mentioned regarding speed and PC use, there is
also price. If you already have a router with print capability, you are good to
go. Otherwise you will need to factor that into the price. A print server is
$50-100 depending on if it is wired or wireless and has USB support. Also the
OS can also influence how it works. On Win2K you have the option to install the
printer drivers locally on each machine. That reduces the workload on the
machine it is connected to. I have a wireless network in my house, 2 PCs for
now and 2 laptops from time to time. My Brother laser is connected to my PC,
and has worked fine for the couple years I have owned it. I would not get a
Brother though. Their drivers are crap. It was a good deal when I bought it
(fax/laser combo) but I have huge slowdown whenever I print. Using an
equivalent HP laser does not have the same symptoms. As soon as I can afford it
I will ditch the Brother and get an HP or something else.