Re: RE: O/T ATV?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 18:18:42 EDT

"Hop *" <hopsdak@hotmail.com> wrote:

: That's what i figured..
: I knew the tail gate wouldn't close but, i wasn't sure of the fender well
: dimensions.
: I guess i'll have to ask the guy what the dim is from the ground to the
: running boards on the quad and the distance between the wheels. I hate to
: buy a trailer too but that may be my only option.

   Make sure you get the distance from the front of the ATV to the
back of the front wheels also (to be sure the front of the ATV won't
run into the cab or the front of the bed before the wheels drop down
in front of the wheelwells.) (You could probably get the same
measurement on the rear, while you are at it, just in case it is less,
you may be able to back it in.)

   If it doesn't fit, you may be able to get away without needing a
trailer by parking it behind the wheelwells, using some sort of bed
insert and/or something that might go into the trailer hitch which
comes up and supports a platform on/behind the lowered tailgate. (So,
the front wheels of the ATV would be in the bed, behind the wheelwells,
the rear wheels of the ATV would be behind the tailgate, supported by
some structure from the trailer hitch. Obviously not great for your
front/rear bias, and this is also overly complicated and likely
expensive, it'd be better if it just fit in the bed, but its an option.

   Another option may be a platform in the bed to essentially "raise"
the bed of the truck up to the same level as the top of the wheelwells.
You'd have plenty of room for sure, although at the cost of having
the load higher on the truck (use lots of tie downs). :-) A similar
idea would be a platform similar to the one I just described, but which
wouldn't fill the whole bed, it would only go in front of the wheelwells.
You'd drive the ATV up onto the wheelwells, and onto that platform.
The front wheels would rest on the platform in the front of the bed,
the rear wheels would be sitting in the bed, behind the wheelwells.
(The ATV would sit a bit nose-high.) I like that last idea the best,
actually. :-)

  Anyhoo, just some random spewage from my brain there, maybe it will
help you out or give you some ideas. :-)

  Good luck with it!

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | '70 Barracuda, '90 Dakota Convertible, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota | | '96 Intruder, '96 Kolb FireFly, '99 Cherokee, '01 Ram 3500 | `----------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'