Re: The Dak is gone/Buy American...etc.

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 10:25:50 EDT

On Fri, September 23, 2005 3:24 am, Bill Pitz said:

> That's not entirely true. I still buy German knives :-)

I've found anything engineered in Germany is usually exceptionally high
quality. Unfortunately, it's usually also very expensive.

I used to work with a couple of vendors based in Germany. It seems to me
that Germans have life figured out. Work like hell when you're at work,
and take about eight weeks of vacation a year. I don't know if that's the
standard, but it seems like the guys I was working with were on vacation
more often than they were at work. But when they were at work, they were
unbelievably hard working. I'd like to go over there some day to visit,
unfortunately my bosses figured out that telephone calls were cheaper than
airline tickets.

> I usually avoid Chinese tools because they are generally cheap junk.

I try to avoid anything that says "made in China" if at all possible
(other than herbs and other "ancient Chinese secrets", I have to admit
that they do know a lot about that stuff). Not only is it usually junk,
but I'm not crazy about sending money to the world's largest communist
country. If I have to buy from Asia, I prefer to look for something made
in Taiwan, South Korea, or Japan. Just my opinion.