Re: The Dak is gone/Buy American...etc.

From: droo (03dakotaCC4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 12:15:20 EDT

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:25:50 -0400, Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net>
wrote:

>> I usually avoid Chinese tools because they are generally cheap junk.
>
> I try to avoid anything that says "made in China" if at all possible
> (other than herbs and other "ancient Chinese secrets", I have to admit
> that they do know a lot about that stuff). Not only is it usually junk,
> but I'm not crazy about sending money to the world's largest communist
> country. If I have to buy from Asia, I prefer to look for something made
> in Taiwan, South Korea, or Japan. Just my opinion.

I think this might be changing. I feel the same way about asian made
tools. However, my boss is into buying them for his cabinet shop. He
bought a shaper many years ago and it was the typical asian garbage. He
recently purchased a 3 head shape and the quality was vastly better then
the original one he purchased. So I think that in the coming years as the
asian producers learn and can actually afford to upgrade their facilities,
you will see better and better stuff coming out of there.

--
-Droo

http://www.grandroyal.org/dakota