RE: satellite isp (was: Rita traffic)

From: Curt Coulter (curt@cjnetworking.com)
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 18:47:57 EDT

> Are you refering to DSL through Direct Tv or do you you use
> an actual
> satellite connection? If so, I'm wondering how it is and how
> much. I have
> sprint DSL right now, And they are pissing me off with their
> bullshit
> charges. Don't have access to cable and would love to go some
> place else.

I previously had StarBand for about 6 years, was a beta tester. I
recommend staying away from them, bankruptcies etc.

I have wildblue currently, and I have the highest service package, which
gets me 1.6-1.7 Mbps down, and 256 Kbps up for $80 a month. Thus far, it
works very well.

Keep in mind that any satellite ISP has a built in 520 ms delay to bounce
the signal to a geosynch sat and back to earth. If you can get decent
speed DSL, it's pretty much always going to be better than satellite,
unless you don't do anything that the latency matters.

/Curt