Re: satellite isp

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 14:32:27 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:
> On Mon, September 26, 2005 1:36 pm, Dan Kramarsky said:
>
>>Why not use terrestrial wireless? I have been using Wireless Internet
>>for about 3 years
>>now. The stuff is pretty reliable. And fast as DSL or Cable.
>

> Interesting. Does it only work with their antenna? I'm sure the answer
> is "it depends..." but what's your experience been?
>
> I'm aware of the advantages of using a proper antenna, but I'm thinking
> that this would be pretty cool if you could have a reliable *mobile* net
> connection included in the price. I'm not too interested in paying for
> two services, one at home and one mobile. And using people's unsecured
> wireless networks is unreliable (and questionably legal).

The problem to this point has been that most cheap wireless technologies
(like 802.11a/b/g) have required at least somewhat reasonable
line-of-sight between the antennas for any substantial amount of range
(i.e. beyond a few hundred feet). They're hoping to overcome a lot of
those limitations with WiMax, but it's not ready for primetime yet.

A lot of areas, though, have meshed 802.11 networks in place already,
which provides nearly seemless connectivity. They're generally found in
downtown areas or business districts, though.