Re: satellite isp (was: Rita traffic)

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 14:06:00 EDT

On Mon, September 26, 2005 1:36 pm, Dan Kramarsky said:

> Why not use terrestrial wireless? I have been using Wireless Internet
> for about 3 years
> now. The stuff is pretty reliable. And fast as DSL or Cable.

Interesting. Does it only work with their antenna? I'm sure the answer
is "it depends..." but what's your experience been?

I'm aware of the advantages of using a proper antenna, but I'm thinking
that this would be pretty cool if you could have a reliable *mobile* net
connection included in the price. I'm not too interested in paying for
two services, one at home and one mobile. And using people's unsecured
wireless networks is unreliable (and questionably legal).

> You pay $60 - $70 a month and get 768kbps DOWN and 384kbps UP speeds.

That seems a bit steep to me. I'm paying $35 per month in Canadian
dollars and getting DSL at 3Mbps down and 800kpbs up. (The broadband
market up here is fantastic.) Although if I could get a mobile connection
anywhere in the city it would suddenly get a lot more interesting.