Re: satellite isp (was: Rita traffic)

From: droo (03dakotaCC4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 18:22:40 EDT

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:06:00 -0400, Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, September 26, 2005 1:36 pm, Dan Kramarsky said:
>>
>> Why not use terrestrial wireless? I have been using Wireless Internet
>> for about 3 years
>> now. The stuff is pretty reliable. And fast as DSL or Cable.
>
> Interesting. Does it only work with their antenna? I'm sure the answer
> is "it depends..." but what's your experience been?
>
> I'm aware of the advantages of using a proper antenna, but I'm thinking
> that this would be pretty cool if you could have a reliable *mobile* net
> connection included in the price. I'm not too interested in paying for
> two services, one at home and one mobile. And using people's unsecured
> wireless networks is unreliable (and questionably legal).
>
>> You pay $60 - $70 a month and get 768kbps DOWN and 384kbps UP speeds.
>
> That seems a bit steep to me. I'm paying $35 per month in Canadian
> dollars and getting DSL at 3Mbps down and 800kpbs up. (The broadband
> market up here is fantastic.) Although if I could get a mobile
> connection
> anywhere in the city it would suddenly get a lot more interesting.

I avctually looked into Verizon's broadband wireless. This is what I found
out. It's not as fast. No surprise there. Not available in my area. And I
need to have a verizon wireless phone to subscribe tyo it. Not worth it
for just my home use. This WISP thing you speak of sounds great. Doesn't
seem like there is antyhing close to me. I'm almost in the boonies here in
North Jersey as far as stuff like that goes.

Right now I'm not even sure what I am paying for my DSL. I still have to
get things straightened out with Sprint. But I expect that it is going to
cost me about 65$ a month. That does include a phone line and all taxes.
But I don't want the phone line so I include that in my DSL cost per
month. My cell phone works great and only costs me 10$ a month. I only get
1.5 mbits down. It sucks, but I guess that's what I get for living on a
farm.

--
-Droo

http://www.grandroyal.org/dakota