Re: 5.2L (magnum) a classic?

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 16:49:39 EDT

Never heard of any engine being refered to as a "classic" and the magnum series
of engines were made by the millions so it's not going to be valuable like say
a 426 Street Hemi where total production was only a few thousand. And even the
street hemi value has dropped dramatically since MP released crate motors,
short blocks and blocks. The engine now only has any real value to some one
doing a restoration where the original engine is gone but wants the next best
thing a proper date code engine.

Also, car/truck engines in general are not collectable items like say old steam
engines are. I would venture to say that a magnum engine in 30 years will have
the same value as the 30 year old LA 318 I have out behind the garage which I
can't give away.

I can't imagine how the production date in it self would make an engine more
desirable other than it being used to restore a vehicle of like vintage. Like
Jon mentioned the desirability of an engine is normally tied to design changes
that occured during the production life that would make it a better engine.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4

In article <di1bi0$3pe$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> Dan Kramarsky <dkramarsky68@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> : Point 1: If the production years for the Magnum 318 are now over, and
they were only
> : made from 1992 to 1999, then wouldn't THAT make them a potential classic
in a few
> : decades? I mean most likely DC will never make Magnum 318's anymore.
It will be the