Re: Daktoberfest Roll Call

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Tue Oct 11 2005 - 15:01:48 EDT

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0510111152280.16699-100000@rt2>, dml@tepidcola.com
(Michael Maskalans) writes:

> cool!
> Didn't know you had plans for the powertrain as well, but I suppose that
> really would be a safe assumption =) You do any of the stripping of the
> mounts yet or are you going to wait a bit on that?

most of the mounts have been cut or torched already. Still have to remove the
the front hangers for the rear springs. The driver's side required me to drop
the fuel tank to get the bolt out. It was already getting late and I was
getting impatient so I just hacked the eye off the spring with a cutting torch.
 Burnt poly leaf-spring bushings smell funny. 8-) I have to finish cleaning
that and the rest of the frame up. I already burnt up the motor in my cheap
ass angle grinder so I'll have to allocate some additional funds to get another
one.

> from Currie?? Thought you had a pair of 60s, I only know Currie for their
> 9" stuff (and damn would I like to run some of it!)

Instead of using heims I'm using rebuildable Currie johnny joints on the ends
of the links. On the front, I'm doing something similar to yours, a wristed
radius style, just a little different in execution.

> ::drool:: Any chance on something there?

She has awesome contacts because she literally spends millions as a metal &
fabrication buyer for her company. She works for a company that makes laser
and metal punch machinery. She was just telling me the other day that her
company just sold a laser machine to West Coast Choppers.

There was one vendor that not only used to give me everything for free, they
even once had me bring my truck down and welded everything together for for me
in their shop. The owner also had one of his guys weld the front receiver hitch
on the truck and helped me fab the rock sliders. Despite my asking several
times, he never gave me a bill. Now I can't expect that every time but I know
she has asked a few of her vendors (on the side) about getting me some of the
materials for my SAS and we've gotten several offers for help from them. One
supplier even dropped a bunch of scrap steel in our driveway (some of which
will be my lower links. He's even invited me wheeling out on property he owns
about a half hour from here. I'm told he's a big off-roading nut himself and
has a pretty stout Jeep. What do you need, I'll see what I can do.

Walt
http://www.Walt-n-Ingrid.Com