Re: Re: Chrysler Intrepid was: Daktoberfest

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 09:33:13 EDT

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Mike Sykes wrote:

> also highly suspect the odometer readings are inaccurate.<<<
>

> actually, most newer vehicles don't store mileage in the cluster, it's
> generally stored in either the Body Control Module or the PCM.

unless, of course, it's *just* old enough to still have a mechanical
odometer. Which a '96 Intrep apparently is. But the paperwork from the
salvage cert has 121,000 miles listed, which is about 37,000 miles ago.
Seems high but possible for a college kid since May '03 (which makes for
2.5 years since the total, not 1.5 as I was told, but whatever.)

> Therefor,
> swapping clusters won't effect the mileage displayed in the dash.
> Dakota content: All Gen III's have a PCM dependent mileage output. You can
> swap clusters all you want. Gen IV uses one of the CAN busses for mileage.
> Ironically, it's the same one that controls the ABS....

CAN bus? to me a bus is a data transfer link, not something that stores
information... makes sense that it's ABS related since both talk to the
speed sesnor, though

--
MikeM