Re: OT- Chrysler Techs

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 08:19:37 EDT

On 10/12/05, jon@dakota-truck.net <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote:
> Also keep in mind that you *might* be opening yourself up to
> some liability if you allow anybody else to drive the car, and
> certainly make sure the system is back up and running if you ever
> decide to sell it (or inform the person that the airbag system
> is non-functional and get something in writing from them saying
> that this is OK with them - maybe just write it on a copy of
> the bill and have them sign it.) (I can just see the dollar signs
> in some lawyer's eyes when the car is in an accident and they find
> out that the previous owner tampered with/disabled the SRS.) :-(

It may be a concern even if she doesn't sell the car. If your MIL is
involved in an accident, and is injured where an airbag would have
protected her, and the insurance company discovers this little
tampering, they may not cover any of the medical bills resulting.

Second hit on "what if I disable my airbag?" on Google -
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/airbags/pages/FAQsABDeactiv.htm

Info on acquiring an on/off switch for the airbag (in the long run,
this is probably the safest route to go)
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/airbags/pages/FAQsABOnOff.htm