5.2L to 5.9L swap questions

From: Dan Kramarsky (dkramarsky68@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 15 2005 - 14:01:41 EDT

For those DMLers who are well versed in this swap:

Plan: I plan to get a 5.9L from a mid 90's Ram or a '98-'99 Durango

1. I know that the 5.2L was internally balanced, and the 5.9L was externally balanced.
And to use the 5.9L motor I must deal with that issue. Do i get a balanced torque
converter?

2. Also I dont know is if motor mounts are a problem. Do they need to be beefed up? Is
an adapter needed? I wouldn't think so. But I'm not sure.

3. And I dont know if there are Cal Smog issues with this. So 2 questions come up:

a. If I stick with the stock 5.9L PCM, does the PCM need to be from the same vehicle I
got the engine from?

b. If I want to use a M.P. PCM, does the PCM have to match the donor vehicle/engine
combo or the recipient vehicle/engine combo if i want to be "legal"?

4. Can the original cooling system be used or is there a change needed here?

thats it for now. and as always, thanks in advance.

Dan K.
'92 Grey Dak CC, 318, 4x2, 46RH, 3.55 rear, 235/75R15, PS, PW, PB, PL, AC.

Mods: Cool air, K&N oil/air, Autolite 3924s, re-located IAT.

Future: Swap motor for a slightly modified Magnum 5.9L engine.

http://mail.yahoo.com