Re: 5.2L to 5.9L swap questions

From: sneezer@gmail.com
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 10:58:59 EDT

In article <20051015180141.42933.qmail@web33204.mail.mud.yahoo.com>,
dkramarsky68@yahoo.com (Dan Kramarsky) writes:

> For those DMLers who are well versed in this swap:
>
> Plan: I plan to get a 5.9L from a mid 90's Ram or a '98-'99 Durango
>

> 1. I know that the 5.2L was internally balanced, and the 5.9L was
externally balanced.
> And to use the 5.9L motor I must deal with that issue. Do i get a balanced
torque
> converter?
>
> 2. Also I dont know is if motor mounts are a problem. Do they need to be
beefed up? Is
> an adapter needed? I wouldn't think so. But I'm not sure.
>
> 3. And I dont know if there are Cal Smog issues with this. So 2 questions
come up:

> a. If I stick with the stock 5.9L PCM, does the PCM need to be from the same
vehicle I
> got the engine from?
>
> b. If I want to use a M.P. PCM, does the PCM have to match the donor
vehicle/engine
> combo or the recipient vehicle/engine combo if i want to be "legal"?
>
> 4. Can the original cooling system be used or is there a change needed here?
>

> thats it for now. and as always, thanks in advance.
>

> Dan K.
> '92 Grey Dak CC, 318, 4x2, 46RH, 3.55 rear, 235/75R15, PS, PW, PB, PL, AC.
>
> Mods: Cool air, K&N oil/air, Autolite 3924s, re-located IAT.
>
> Future: Swap motor for a slightly modified Magnum 5.9L engine.
>

> __________________________________
> http://mail.yahoo.com

I am in the midst of the same swap myself. Already have the engine, partially
torn down. Gradually getting ready to do the swap. Here is what I have found
out.

The engines are the same. It makes no difference if it is EGR or not. You just
reuse your current manifold, or get an EGR M1. Swap your existing sensors over,
or get new ones. Oil pressure and water temp would be good ones to get new, and
reuse everything else. The CPS might be a good candidate to replace as well, as
it will be easier to do with the engine out of the truck.

You will need to get a balancer if the engine does not have it. 2000+ went to a
1 piece balancer/pulley, which sucks. You can get a pre-2000 balancer and
pulley though. They pop up on ebay from time to time.

PCMs - 93 Ram 360 PCM for your truck. The 318 will run the engine, but not very
well. I have heard conflicting information on the 94-95 PCM. I have one of
these I bought cheap. I did put it on my 318 just to check if it would even
run. Idled OK, but did trip a MIL. Checked the code, and it was for a tranny
temp reading too low. There was no tranny temp sensor in the 92-93 trucks, but
I suspect one was added to the Ram starting in 94, and it is looking for that
reading. I don't know if the sensor can be wired in or not, I have been looking
for a wiring diagram for a 94-95 360 PCM to confirm, but no luck so far.

Motormounts - I have heard the Mopar ones are the best, but they are expensive.
I am going to give the ones at Autozone a shot. We will see how they work, but
the mounts are the same, just get new ones for your 92.

Exhaust manifolds will bolt up, everything is identical. You may run into a
problem with the oil pan. If the engine came out of a van or Ram, it will not
work. A Dakota/Durango pan may work on a Gen II, but I am not positive. I will
be finding out, as my engine came out of a Durango. You can still reuse your
stock 318 pan if needed though.

Torque Converter - this is where it gets tricky. If the engine came out of a 96
or older vehicle, then you can reuse your current TQ. If it is newer, you
either have to get an older flexplate or a new TQ. Dodge changed the bolts and
balancing around that time. I chose to get a MP 2400 TQ for now, for a later
truck so it would mate with my engine.

All your accessories will bolt on, or you can get new ones. If you are
interested in running UD pulleys at any point, make sure you have a pre 2000
engine or balancer, and a pre 97 waterpump with a bolt on pulley. After 97 they
were pressed on. Most of the parts stores still sell the bolt on style though.

Injectors - best to get some 21 lb units, either FMS or some stock ones off a
360. They changed the connector plug in 2000 though. The newer injectors should
work on an older truck, but you will need to splice into the harness and swap
out the connectors, or you can get a pre-made conversion kit that I have seen.

I have heard the the 92-93 heads may have had slightly larger intake valves
than later years - 1.97 vs. 1.92. I have not seen any proof of this though. I
plan on measuring mine when I pull the engine. Right now I have a mildly ported
set of stockers waiting to go on, currently with 1.6 MP rockers, and eventually
may go with 1.7s.

That is about all I can think of right now. I need to get back to work.

Kevin
1992 CC 318 2wd