Re: O2 Sensors and Gas Mileage

From: Dale Schultz (d.schultz@sympatico_NOSPAM_.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 10:38:35 EDT

Josh Battles wrote:
> andy levy said:
>
>>~ Is your catalytic converter healthy?
>

> How does one check on the health of the catalytic converter?

I believe an emissions test could provide some insight into the health of the
CAT. Emission tests are mandatory in certain areas of Ontario every two years
when it's time to renew the license sticker. Just got my truck done and the NOx
measurement was up from the previous test but still within the spec. Which could
  suggest that the CAT is partially blocked or carboned up :-(
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm
Since the O2S sensors are suppose to control the air-fuel ratio they have a
direct impact on the emissions. There is one before and one after the CAT,
these two measure to oxygen and the computer adjusts the air-fuel ratio to
manage the oxygen content in the exhaust stream to make sure the CAT is working
at its best and to assist in detection of a failing CAT (downstream O2S measures
same as the upstream). If the O2S sensors get dirty (carboned) they will not
perform well. But this should be detected by the computer and an error code
generated. The O2S are preheated to assist them in detecting oxygen content as
early as possible, so if the preheater has failed it could take longer for the
air-fuel ratio to be adjusted to the optimal value and run rich until heated by
the exhaust gases (which cold take a bit as they are mounted far down the
exhaust path). You could measure the heating element resistance to determine if
it is still working, shorted out or open completely.

PS: Rob, drive more conservatively. I know it's hard to do with that short
shifter in a 5 spd ;-)

Your bro, Dale