Re: OT: Breeze / Stratus / Cirrus

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 20:02:23 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:
> On Mon, October 24, 2005 2:06 pm, JAMES KNOX said:
>
>>Money Pit ! Unless One has the facilities to bring this vehicle to the
>>qualifications of passing a safety check.
>>With the Ontario Climate, corosion, rust, It's a loosing investment. :-(
>

> It's been described as "a bit of surface rust," which is about how my '95
> Dakota looks as well. Mark said he could get it on the road for around six or
> seven hundred (based on having the work done at a mechanic), he just doesn't
> want to bother. With the gas prices these days, it won't take very long for
> it to pay for itself, even if it looses all of its resale value because I
> decide to drive it until it disintegrates.

I know you don't have great accomidations for working on stuff at your
place Jason, like Jon and I have... but I still cringe and wince when I
hear of someone having have some service done that costs "$600 or $700".
For something as minor as brake lines. (Then again as Andy once pointed
out to me - My idea of routine maintiance differs from that of other
people - think engine rebuilds vs checking tire pressure)

I estimated that for $700, I could replace all 4 shocks, the master cyl
and power brake booster, front pads, rotors, rear drums, shoes,
hardware, wheel cyls,front coil springs, the fuel tank and straps, and
have enough left over for an air freshener, on that Ranger I just sold.
I would have done that work had I been able to find a solid cab for the
truck. (mine was shot)

Brake lines - to the best of my knowledge - you will never find pre-bent
anywhere. Most dealers will laugh at you if you ask for them, and auto
parts stores don't sell them, though some places like NAPA and Carquest
might flare them to the lengths you need. Easy way to do it is to take
a hunk of line off - doesnt have to be the whole thing, go to local auto
parts store, and get straight line with the same kind of fittings on
them. Estimate longer than you will need and leisurly bends can take up
the slack in the lines.

Where the rupture is makes all the difference in difficulty of
isntalation. If you can get it to Jons to get it on the lift... best
solution.

I really would hate to see ya have to fork out that kinda cash for what
you can get for supplies only, for less than $25 bucks.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine