Re: OT: yellow jackets (was iguana > volvo)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 20:06:27 EDT

"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
:> Anyhoo - I'm not sure if
:> that still applies when they are in a warm house since I have
:> fortunately never had to deal with them inside before,

: This is what I'm afraid of, that they won't die out because they aren't cold
: enough to do so. Fortunately, the ones we're seeing are moving pretty slowly,
: so it seems that they're dying anyway. If they die out to the point where I
: can at least open up the light fixture, then I'll just empty a couple of cans
: of Raid in to every crack I can find and hope it fills the space sufficiently.

   Yep, just be aware though that the queens are probably still in
the nest, and won't leave it. They are already fertilized, so after
they come out of hibernation all they need to do is lay the eggs
and you've got the same problem all over again, if they decide to
lay them in the house. That's why I suggested either physically
finding the nest or using a slow acting, "bait" style poison which
can be brought back to the nest by one of the males. Unfortunately,
I don't know of any specific products (brand names or anything),
so you'll probably need to look around. Maybe you could find
something on the Internet since the local places have apparently
decided that Santa Claus is more important than preventing multiple
wasp stings. :-)

  Or, you might try to find a local exterminator which has a
storefront - they may be able to sell you the product you need.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 67 Coronet, 70 Cuda, 90 Dakota 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dakota | | 96 Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly, 99 Cherokee, 01 Ram 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'