Re: OT: yellow jackets (was iguana > volvo)

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 22:12:38 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:
> I got one of those at Home Depot last night (this brand:
> http://www.rescue.com/Products/ReusableYellowjacketTraps.asp lots of info on
> their site). It comes with a chemical that's supposed to do a really good job
> attracting them. It says to be sure to locate it at least 20 feet away from
> anywhere you plan on being, because it'll bring them running from all around.
> I hesitate to use that indoors, because it'll probably draw even more of them
> than normal out of the ceiling and in to our living space. I did fill it up
> just with sugar water this morning and left it in the kitchen, to see what
> happens. I figure there's already food in that room, so it won't draw out any
> more than we're already getting, and hopefully the ones that are out will
> decide to go for the "easy" meal in the trap.

Those are the ones. They work really well in my experience with them,
but that's been for getting them away from patios and such. They'll all
buzz around the trap and then eventually go inside it and die.

Might be worth a try to put one outside to see if you can lure them out
of the house. Alternatively, if you know for sure where they're getting
in, why not seal that up (either permanently or temporarily) so that no
more can get in or out. Surely they will run out of food eventually if
they are trapped in your ceiling.

-Bill